A frightening activity for elderly seniors is going to the bathroom, which non of us can avoid! Yet many elderly seniors who choose to age in their homes avoid bathroom visits as often as possible. A major reason for this avoidance is bathroom safety, specifically, the fear of slips and falls.
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as many as thirty million elderly seniors fall each year. Of the thirty million falls, at least 30,000 ends in deaths. The CDC report says that 3 million elderly seniors are hospitalized for broken bones, head injuries, and other complications from falls. Most of these falls occur in the bathroom. As a result, many elderly seniors avoid the bathroom as much as possible.
Living independently for as long as possible is very important to our aging population. These accidental falls in the bathroom and other home areas can threaten elderly seniors’ independent living. However, there are several steps the elderly can take to improve their bathroom safety and eliminate accidental falls in the bathroom. Below are 10 preventative measures they can take that are affordable and don’t require costly renovations.
Remove all bathroom rugs or tape them down securely along the edges
Some bathroom rugs tend to curl up around the edges after long-term use, creating a slip and fall hazard. When this happens, try adding rug grippers. These Rug Grippers are slip-resistant, washable, and made with anti-curling materials to keep the rug’s edges flat. They are affordable, are easy to put on, and are perfect for bathroom floor surfaces.
Rug Grippers, Best Non-slip Washable Rug Gripper, “VACUUM TECH” - New Materials to Anti Curling Rug Pad : Keep your rug in place & Make corner flat and Easily Peel off when need
$20.99 in stock
- ★Wondering how to keep rugs from slipping? This is a problem that troubles many people. To address it, we provide a new material which works as a rug pads gripper. This method uses VACUUM TECH design which grips all types of floors firmly and easily. Patent Pending.
- ★Design Feature. This product can easily be glued under any rug. The side facing the floor features tiny suction pores. These pores utilize the VACUUM TECH feature in which whenever pressure is applied from the top, air escapes and creates a low-pressure region within the cups. This produces an adhesive effect, which keeps your rug in place. Does Not Work For Rugs On Carpet Floors.
- ★Advantages. The rug anti curling gripper is less than 1/10 inch thick and inconspicuous after installing. Suction technology firmly sticks to the floor without causing marks or damage, and the gripper easily peels off the floor. It is convenient to wash, as you won’t have to separate it from your carpet for cleaning. The tape for rug adds extra comfort underfoot owing to the slightly bouncy nature of suction technology.
- ★Components. This package includes 8 pieces. Each piece is square in order to increase the surface area in contact with the floor. That leaves your kitchen, bathroom, and hallway much more secure. You can even use them outdoors to prevent slipping and flatten corners.
- ★A 1-YEAR Money Back accompanies this product. This ensures that your rug remains securely in place, and helps to prevent accidental slips and falls. If you are not satisfied, send us a message and we will make a refund without any question.
Add Grab Bars to your tub or shower
Grab bars are another type of fall prevention. They are easy to install, affordable, and can be added to the shower or tub. The straight grab bar is the most commonly used safety bar and can be installed in three directions; vertical, horizontal, and diagonal.
Vertically installed grab bars save space and are easier for people with arthritis and limited hand dexterity. However, they are not useful for moving from one end of the tub to the other end. They are also not beneficial for pulling up to stand or holding to sit. You must be very careful when pulling up or sitting when using a vertically installed grab bar because it’s easy for the hand to slip or slide.
Grab bars are more sturdy when installed horizontally. This direction allows your hand and wrist to be in a more natural position. Users can easily move from end to end in a tub or shower with ease, pull themselves up, or safely sit down while holding a horizontal grab bar.
Diagonally installed grab bars are the best position for bathroom safety. This angle readily accommodates users of different heights and doesn’t stress users’ wrists. Users can also switch from standing to sitting more safely.
With any position, users must take extreme caution when using grab bars. At any time, the users’ hands can slip. To help eliminate the possibility, choose grab bars with a textured or non-slip grip. Grab bars are available in a variety of finishes and a variety of lengths.
DMI Textured Steel Grab Bar for Bath and Shower Safety, 18 inch, Silver by MABIS DMI Healthcare
- DMI Textured Steel Grab Bar for Bath and Shower Safety, 18 inch, Silver
- 18 inches
Attach handrails to your bathtub to safely get in and out of the bath
Bathtub safety rails are another great device that ensures bathroom safety. It attaches to the tub’s side and adds additional support if used in conjunction with a grab bar. Most safety bathtub handrails are easy to install, sturdy, and most of all, affordable. Support yourself by holding onto the non-slip safety rail to get in and out of your bath.
Medline Deluxe Plastic Tub Grab Bar, Microban Antimicrobial Protection, 250lb Weight Capacity, Grey
- Rugged enamel-coated steel assist grab bar features tool-free installation with non-slip, rubber-lined pads that clamp to tub surfaces without scratching them
- Bathtub bar offers 1.25" gripping diameter to comply with ADA Guidelines and is designed to offer multiple grab points
- Mounts vertically on tub walls from 2.75” - 6.25”
- Microban Protection - Safety grab bar is infused with Microban technology for built-in protection that inhibits the growth of stains and odors from bacteria, mold & mildew
- Shower rail bathtub handle supports up to 250 lbs.
Place non-slip rubber mats in the bathtub and shower
Non-slip rubber mats prevent slipping and sliding when bathing. Elderly seniors that can stand while bathing will feel safe and secure standing on one of these non-slip rubber bath mats. This particular bath mat is longer than regular mats, adding that extra slip-free security. The Slip-X bath mats feature over 200 suction cups and plenty of drainage holes. They come in a variety of colors to match any bathroom decor.
SlipX Solutions Tan Extra Long Bath Mat Adds Non-Slip Traction to Tubs & Showers - 30% Longer Than Standard Mats! (200 Suction Cups, 39” Long Bathtub Mat)
$15.99 in stock
- Powerful Grip: SlipX's power grip suction cups are almost 30% larger and are over 25% stronger & more pliable versus other brands, making it the best value bath mat available. Attach to any smooth, non-textured surface for better slip-resistance.
- Comfortable Texture: Made of durable, high-quality soft to the touch vinyl with a unique textured surface pattern for reliable slip-resistant traction and extra comfort during baths or long showers.
- Excellent Drainage & Machine Washable: Hundreds of drain holes throughout the safety mat reduce surface water by keeping water flowing during use and allowing for fast drying after use. Machine washable & easy to clean.
- Oversized Coverage: Stretches the full length of your tub or shower, providing 30% more coverage than the average non-slip bath mat for added protection. Measures 39"L x 16"W.
- Peace of Mind Promise: This product is backed by the SlipX Solutions Peace of Mind Promise. For any questions or concerns after using it, simply reach out to our friendly Customer Care Team via Amazon.
Invest in a sturdy transfer bench for the bathroom
Make it a point to invest in a transfer bath bench. This is especially recommended for elderly seniors or anyone having difficulty standing for long periods, wheelchair users, and individuals recovering from a stroke. It allows the user to sit on it outside of the tub or shower then safely slide themselves into the tub or shower. The transfer bench featured here has an additional function; it swivels and slides. The swiveling feature makes it easy to move in any direction without the fear of slipping and falling.
Swiveling and Sliding Bathtub Transfer Bench and Shower Chair (Reg) (77662). Swiveling and Sliding system, Multiple Safety Features, Tool-Less Assembly, Height Adjustable and High Weight Capacity.
$220.00 in stock
- SAFE & RELIABLE: Our innovative Swivel Sliding Transfer Bench (77662) by Eagle Health Supplies makes getting into and out of the bathtub easier, safer, and will give you or your loved ones a sense of confidence, safety, and steadiness in the bathroom. It can give you the independence and dignity to bathe yourself without assistance. Or it can help you or caregivers assist your loved ones in the bathroom.
- INNOVATIVE & CONVENIENT: Easily swivel and glide into the bathtub or shower without having to scoot across the seat like a conventional transfer bench. And our swivel sliding bench can help you save money by costing thousands $$$ less than installing an expensive walk-in bathtub or shower. Includes adjustable safety belt. This bench can be assembled to face either the right or the left (with the side panel with handlebar installed on either the right or left side of the bench).
- SWIVEL SEAT: Our swivel seat turns 360° and locks every 90°. SLIDING: Seat glides over durable, polished aluminum-tube sliding rails. LOCKS SECURELY: Seat locks at each end of the sliding rails. COMFORTABLE FIT: Comfortable molded plastic seat and back with textured finish and seat drainage holes. STRONG: Built with rust-proof, lightweight, high-strength aluminum frame. EASY TO ASSEMBLE: No tools required. HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE: To fit the user and tub clearance. HIGH WEIGHT CAPACITY (400 lbs)
- SPECIFICATIONS: Seat Size: 17.75" x 14.75". Seat Height: 18.75" - 23". Base Length: 39" - 40" (Regular) (From outside-leg tip to outside-leg tip). Base Depth: 18.5" - 20.5". Max Tub Clearance: 18.5". Back Height from Floor: 32.5" - 36.75". Sliding Distance: 19". Weight Capacity: 400 lbs. LONGER LENGTHS AVAILABLE: #77682 (Base Length 43"-44"), and #77692 (Base Length 48"-49").
- Please measure your bathroom and bathtub carefully to make sure this product will fit your specific needs. This is a non-returnable hygiene item and cannot be returned once opened. OPTIONAL ARMREST AVAILABLE: #75003 (Single) - (NOTE: Armrests are not designed to bear body weight. They are only intended to rest your hands or arms on).
Consider using a shower chair or bath seat with an armrest
Shower chairs or bath seats with removable armrests provide the same safety benefit as transfer benches. They are equipped with sturdy seats and backrests and can be used with or without armrests. Most shower chairs or bath benches have adjustable heights to accommodate the very tall or the very short, and the suction cups on the legs eliminate the chance of sliding.
Health Line Massage Products Shower Chair Bath Seat Bench with Removable Back &Arms, Tool-Free Assembly, Adjustable Height, w/Non-Slip Feet & Bonus Loofah Back Scrubber
- 【Safety Shower Chair with Back and Arms】advanced machinery and production process ensures both comfort and safety, removalable back and arms ensures the shower chair multi-function, you can make it as a shower stool as well.
- 【Sturdy and Stable Shower Seat】Made of heavy-duty anodized 1.4mm-thick aluminum frame, with large suction cups, this shower chair can support upto 300lbs.Rest assured to enjoy your showering time!
- 【Height Adjustable Bath Chair】13 inch (D) x 16 inch (W) seat,the shower chair can be adjusted from 16.1" to 21.3". 6 grades for height adjustment, it will meet the requirements for all your family, especially for seniors, elderly, disabled, handicap and injured.
- 【Tool-Free Assembly & Easy to Use】: Easily assembles in minutes, no tool required. Only 7.6 lbs, 17.5" in width, 16.5" in depth, with paded arms, this bath chair is lightweight and portable for most bathtubs and small bath rooms.
- 【100% Authenticity Gurantee Shower Chair】Our shower chair have several different shapes and also receive high reputation from users, this durable shower chair also come with 3-year limited warranty, please rest assured to buy.
Purchase a handheld shower head
In addition to transfer benches and shower chairs, purchase a handled shower head. This nifty bathroom safety device places the shower power in your hands. Handheld shower head users can clean hard-to-reach areas without twisting and turning, eliminating the possibility of slipping. Most shower chairs and bath benches come with a handheld showerhead holder for convenience. This high-pressure handheld shower head comes with 6 settings and an ergonomically shaped handle for a comfortable grip.
High Pressure Handheld Shower Head 6-Setting - Luxury 5" Hand held Rain Shower with Hose - Powerful Shower Spray Even with Low Water Pressure in Supply Pipeline - Low Flow Rainfall Showerhead
$34.97 in stock
- 6-Spray Settings: our handheld shower head has 6 different patterns include a gentle rainfall, pulsating massage, bubbling spa, mist, power spray, eco spray + pause function for water saving. Feel like you're on vacation every time you step into the shower.
- Extra Large Size: Experience an indulgent shower with our shower head with handheld. This piece features a 5 inch diameter design for full coverage to ensure that every inch of you is soothed by the warmth of water! Compatible with most G1/2 showers.
- High-Quality Materials: detachable showerhead is lightweight, strong, and rustproof. Shower heads body has chrome-plated durable ABS material. We use stainless steel hose with the solid brass connection fittings that won't crack or split.
- Easy Tool-Free DIY Installation: No need to call a plumber. You'll be able to install high pressure shower heads in minutes with just one hand-tightened universal connection on any standard shower pipe, arm or extender.
- Extended warranty: We provide a 3-year extended warranty on all products of our brand. If you have any troubles or questions, you can contact us through Amazon, and we will provide you with professional customer service within 24 hours.
Surround your toilet with toilet safety rails
Toilet safety rails allow users to sit on and get up from the toilet safely. It’s easy for an elderly senior to lose their balance and accidentally fall when trying to sit on or get off the toilet. A great way to eliminate this possibility is by adding this folding and portable toilet frame. It fits most toilets without any modifications to the original toilet. One of the unique features is the footrest. The user places their feet on the footrest and, by doing so, helps the toilet frame stay in place.
Toilet Safety Frame & Rail - Folding & Portable Bathroom Toilet Safety Rails - Handrail Toilet Bars with Adjustable Height (White)
3 used from $88.57
- No Assembly Required! Folding and Portable Toilet Safety Frame and Hand Rail is an ideal daily living aid for anyone who suffers from limited mobility.
- Fits around your toilet seat with back bar in front of your toilet tank.
- Arm Rests are made of durable foam to sustain repeated usage and heavy weight capacity. Soft and comfort grip makes easy to sit and stand.
- Fits Most Toilets. Note: Dimensions: 20” width between arms; Height adjustable 28” to 36” inches floor to top of arm (highest point). Height is adjustable to meet your custom needs. Weigh Capacity: 300 LBS
- Easy Storage: The RMS Toilet Safety Frame is fully foldable for easy storage or travel. Simply fold it and set to the side when you're not using it.
Attach toilet safety rails directly to your toilet
Another way to prevent accidental falls from the toilet is to attach toilet safety rails directly to your toilet. They are easy to install and great for safely balancing yourself to sit on and get off the toilet. The handles easily adjust in width and height for added comfort and security. Ideal for users in a wheelchair and other users with limited mobility issues.
Vive Toilet Safety Rail - Adjustable Grab Bar - Compact Support Frame with Handrail for Bathroom Toilet Seat - Easy Installation for Handicap Senior Bariatrics, Elderly Balance - Padded Hand Armrest
$49.99 in stock
- SAFELY SIT & STAND: Supporting up to 300 pounds, the compact safety toilet rail provides additional safety and security when sitting down or standing up in the bathroom. Perfect for seniors, arthritis sufferers and for those recovering from injury or surgery, the rail provides additional stability to prevent harmful slips and falls.
- FITS ALL STANDARD & ELONGATED TOILETS: The compact toilet safety rail can be used with any standard elongated or oval toilet. Rail handles easily adjust in width for a customized fit for every household. Handles can be adjusted from 17” to 20” wide providing a comfortable amount of space above the toilet.
- SOFT NON SLIP HANDLES: Rail handles are padded with a soft foam for superior support. The textured handles create a comfortable, non-slip surface for a safe and secure grip when sitting or standing.
- EASY TOOL-FREE INSTALLATION: Easy to assemble and install, the durable and compact toilet rails work with most standard toilets. No tools, drilling or cementing is required. The compact safety rail is installed and removed by utilizing the existing seat bolts. Lightweight and durable, the aluminum frame is also corrosion resistant, perfect for long term use.
- CHECK FOR SIZING: While this design is nearly universal there are some toilets that will not work for this device. Check out our images if you have any questions.
Install a raised toilet seat with safety rails
Finally, a quick and easy installation of a raised toilet seat with handrails will also eliminate accidental falls when using the toilet. It helps the user to maintain their balance while at the same time shortening the distance between the user and the toilet seat. Sitting down and getting up from the toilet is made much safer and much easier with this raised toilet seat with handles.
NOVA Medical Products NOVA Elevated Raised Toilet Seat with Removable, Adjustable Padded Arms, 20” Width Between Arms, Locking, Easy On and Off, for Standard and Elongated Toilets, White
- IDEAL SOLUTION to aid user getting on and off the toilet by raising the toilet seat 5” and providing arms for support, leverage and safety. 20” width between arms for more seat clearance. PADDED ARMS have two adjustments (17.75” and 20”) and are easily removable as an option, making it ideal for travel or storage
- EASY & QUICK INSTALLATION with no tools required. Installs on and off in just seconds. Depending on the style/size of toilet, you may be able to install with the seat and lid attached. Very durable and easy to clean.
- ON & OFF FRONT LOCK secures the raised toilet seat to most brands of toilet seats - both Standard and Elongated (see SIZING).
- SPECIFICATIONS: Weight capacity: 300 pounds; Overall dimensions: 22.25”W x 17”D x 14.25”H (with arms at 20”); Inner opening dimensions: 7.25"W x 8.5"D, Width between arms: 17.75” and 20” .Seat type is plastic.
- SIZING: Fits most Standard and Elongated Toilet Seats. Inner rim front to back measurement cannot exceed 14.75”.
A desire to live at home while aging does not have to be scary. Although Elderly seniors’ risk of falling, especially in the bathroom, is higher than the average person’s, they have options. They can fall-proof their bathrooms without major renovation expenses. Adding grab bars, using shower chairs and transfer benches, safety rails, and more of the safety devices listed here ensures elderly seniors, wheelchair users, and other people with mobility limitations can live safely and independently for years.